Coupon Accepted Successfully!



Land is a very important resource for mankind and all living organisms. Land covers only about 30% of the total surface of the earth; the rest of the 70% is covered with water. We live on the land and most of our needs are fulfilled through it.

Let us see how land fulfills our needs.

  • We get our food from plants and trees that grow on land.
  • We build houses on land that gives us shelter.
  • We construct roads and railway lines on land that helps us to travel from one place to another.
  • We get minerals from land that is very essential for our development.
  • We build factories and other buildings on land.
  • Ours lives are closely related with land and we can emphatically say that land is one of the most important resources.

    This land surface that is so important to us, is not uniformly the same, all over the earth. There are a variety of landforms.

  • Valleys
  • Plateaus
  • Mountains
  • Plains
  • Hills
  • Glaciers

    A valley is a hollow or surface depression of the earth bounded by hills or mountains, a natural trough in the earth's surface that slopes down to a stream, lake or the ocean, formed by water and/or ice erosion.

    A plateau is a large highland area of fairly level land separated from surrounding land by steep slopes.

    Over long periods of time, mountains are created by tremendous forces in the earth with a steep top usually shaped up to a peak or ridge. Mountains are formed by volcanism, erosion, and disturbances or uplift in the earth's crust.

    Plains are broad, nearly level stretches of land that have no great changes in elevation. Plains are generally lower than the land around them; they may be found along a coast or inland.


    Hills are elevations of the earth's surfac

    Places where the population is sparse and Dense

  • Steep Slopes of the Mountains.
  • Low-Lying Areas Susceptible to Water Logging.
  • Desert Areas.
  • Thick Forested Areas.
  • Places where the population is dense:-

  • Plains
  • River valleys

    Let us study the lives of Mamba and Peter.



    Mamba lives in a small village in Tanzania, Africa. She has to walk a long way to get water as there is no water in her village. Her family has a small piece of rocky land on which her father grows maize and beans. They also have a few goats. Mamba’s family work hard for a living.



    Peter lives in New Zealand. His family owns a wool processing factory. They rear sheep in the grasslands near their factory. They also grow vegetables in their farm. They use modern technology in farming. Peter studies in a school and his family is well-to-do.

    The table above gives us a clear picture about the different life styles of Mamba and Peter.

    Let us find out the reason for this difference.

    • Mamba and Peter stay in two different parts of the world.

    • They lead different lives because there are differences in the quality of land, soil, water, natural vegetation, animals and the usage of technology.

    The availability of natural resources is the two places is the main reason for the different life styles of Mamba and Peter. From this we can conclude that natural resources play a vital role in the life style of the people living in that region.

    Test Your Skills Now!
    Take a Quiz now
    Reviewer Name