Phases of the hair follicle
Hair follicle grows in three phases:
- Anagen (growing phase)
- Catagen ( resting phase)
- Telogen (shedding phase)
At a particular time only growing follicles are targeted by the laser as they contain maximum melanin pigment and 70% hair in the resting phase continue to grow. A laser light would either destroy the growing follicle or may make it dormant. After an interval of 4-6 weeks (depending on the body part) 30% of hair would again fall in the growing phase and a repeat session would target these follicles. Therefore a number of sessions are required to attain maximum benefits.
Number of sessions
- Maximum 8-10 sessions are required for optimum results.
- In hormonal imbalance a medical line of treatment is suggested along with the laser. Number of sessions in such cases are definitely more and maintenance may be required.
- The amount of reduction is about 60-80%.
- Treatment with Isotretinoin recently.
- Metal implants on the area to be treated.
Pulse Width βThe time in which fixed quantity of energy is delivered measured in milliseconds.