Medical and Surgical Complications in Pregnancy
About Lupus anticoagulant all are true except: (AIPG 2009)
|A||Increase in aPTT only|
|B||Recurrent 2nd trimester abortion in pregnant females|
|C||Can occur without other symptoms of anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome|
|D||Thrombotic spells can be followed by severelife threatening hemorrhage|
Thrombotic spells can be followed by
Severe life threatening hemorrhage
1. Antiphospholipid syndrome develops in patients expressing antibodies to anionic phospholipids.
2. Elevation in the activated partial tissue thromboplastin time.
3. Clinical presentation appears as mixed thrombosis of the arterial and venous circulation with varying degrees of thrombocytopenia, hemolytic anemia, deep vein thrombosis, transient ischemic attacks, pulmonary embolism, and spontaneous abortions.
4. The kidneys are injured in this syndrome.
5. Some patients develop acute renal failure.
6. The mainstay of treatment for antiphospholipid syndrome is warfarin.