Growth And Development
Attention, deficit, hyperactivity disorder is characterized by- (AIIMS Nov 2013)
|D||All of the above|
All of the above
Attention deficity hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
o ADHD is one of the most common psychiatric problem in school age population
o It is three times more common in boys than girls'
o ADHD is characterized by an age inappropriate hyperactivity, impulsiveness and inattention'
o Hyperactivity is usually the first symptom to be noticed'
o The disorder is divided into three classes
• class I (most common) -+All three symptoms are present hyperactivity, impulsiveness ancl inattention'
• Class II -+ First two symptoms are present, i.e', hyperactivity and impulsiveness'
• class III (Least common) + only inattention is present.
six or more of the following to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with development level' for at least 6 months.
1. often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work or other activities'
2. Often has difficulty in sustaining attention in tasks on play activities'
3. Often does not Seem to listen when spoken to directly
4. Often does not follow through on instruction and faiis to finish schoolwork, chores, duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions)'
5. Often has difficulty in organizing tasks and activities.
6. often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in task that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework).
7. Is often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys school assignments, pencils, books or tools)'
8. Is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli'
9. Is often forgetful in daily activities'
Six more of the following to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with development level, for at least 6 months.
1. Often fidgets with hands or squirms in seat'
2. Often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected'
3. Often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it inappropriate. In adults or adolescents, may be limited to subjects feelings of restlessness'
4. Often has difficulty in playing or engaging in leisure activities'
5. Is often..on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor".
6. Often talks excessively.
8. Often blurts out answers before questions
9. Often has difficulty awaiting turn'
10. Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e'g', bursts in conversations or games).