23 out of 100
Finasteride acts by: (DNB Dec 2012)
|B||5- alpha reductase Inhibition|
|C||Androgen Receptor blockade|
Ans. B 5α-reductase Inhibition
- Finasteride inhibits 5-αlpha reductase and hence reduces the circulating and prostatic Dihydrotestosterone concentration.
- Dihydrotestosterone is more active than testosterone.
- It's sites of action include prostate gland & hair follicles.
- Uses of finasteride: ↓es prostate size after prolonged use and thus helpful in relieving the' static component' of obstruction in BPH.
- Other uses include - male pattern baldness (early stages); Hirsuitism in women
- S/E: ↓ libido, impotence, ↓ volume of ejaculate