Most common childhood malignancy is:(DNB Nov 2011)
1. Leukemias are the MC form of childhood malignancy accounting for 40% of all cases.
2. The other common malignancies in decreasing order are:
a. Brain tumours b. Lymphomas c. Neuroblastomas
d. Wilms tumour e. Soft tissue sarcoma f. Tumours of bone and eye
3. Some important points about pediatic tumours
a. MC tumour diagnosed in infancy - Neuroblastoma
b. MC intra-abdominal solid tumour in childhood – Neuroblastoma
c. MC malignant tumour of kidney in childhood Wilms tumour
4. MC type of leukemia in childhood - ALL .
5. In children> 1 year of age Infratentorial brain tumours are more common than supratentorial, while in children 1 < year of age supratentorial tumours (choroid plexus tumour) are more common.
a. MC soft tissue sarcoma in < 15 year age gp –Rhabdomyosarcoma
b. MC primary ocular tumour of childhood Retinoblastoma
c. MC site of metastasis in neuroblastoma - Bone
d. MC site of metastasis in Wilms tumour - Lung
e. MC site of metastasis in Ewing's sarcoma - Lung
MC site of metastasis in Rhabdomyosarcoma Lung