The cities with a population of one lakh and above can have a Municipal Corporation. The elections are held on the basis of Universal Adult Franchise through secret ballot.
A Municipal Corporation comprises the followingâ€”
- General Council
- The Mayor
- The Standing Committee
- A Municipal Commissioner
Functions of the Municipal Corporation
- Provision of electricity, water, sewage and disposal
- Provision of public health services
- Provision of public utilities such as roads, buildings, bus shelters, etc.
- Maintenance of records of birth and deaths
- Preparation, publishing of annual report of the corporation, etc.
A Municipal Committee is set up for small towns. The Municipalities consist of a general body, Chairman/ President, and Chief Executive Officer.
- Maintenance of underground drainage, cleanliness, public gardens and playgrounds
- Maintenance of birth and death records
- Taking care of roads, street lights and sanitation
- Provide pure drinking water etc.